If you have a garage door at home, you know how convenient and useful it can be. However, like any mechanical system, garage doors can experience issues that can prevent them from functioning properly. One common problem that can occur is a broken cable. If the cable on your garage door breaks, it is important to take the appropriate steps to address the issue and prevent further damage.
In this blog, we will discuss what to do if the cable on your garage door breaks and how to handle this issue safely and effectively.
How Do Cable Work?
Cables are an important part of a garage door system, as they help to lift and lower the door. The cables are attached to the bottom of the door and run through a series of pulleys to the electric opener. When the opener is activated, it lifts the door by pulling on the cables. The cables are under a lot of tension and must be properly maintained in order to function properly.
If you close and open the garage doors, the springs are used to counterbalance the weight of the door. Because the springs are subject to a lot of tension, if any breaks, it can cause serious injury or damage. This is why cables with heavy weights run through the springs in order to prevent the springs from re-inforcing.
The type of springs on your garage door will determine the type of cable you use.
- Lift Cables: Garage doors with torsion springs have lift cables that go from the bottom corners of the door up to the torsion springs above the door.
- Retaining Cables: Garage doors with extension springs have cables that hold the springs in place so that if they break, they don’t go flying across the room. The cables are inside the springs, which are on the right and left sides of the door, and run vertically.
Cables are an essential component of a garage door system, as they help to lift and lower the door. There are usually two cables on a garage door, one on each side. These cables are attached to the bottom of the door and run through a series of pulleys to the electric opener. When the opener is activated, it lifts the door by pulling on the cables.
The cables are under a lot of tension and are connected to a drum, which is a cylinder that the cables wrap around. As the drum turns, it helps to lift or lower the door. The cables are also connected to the bottom brackets on the door, which hold the cables in place.
In some cases, garage doors may also have an additional cable or two that run from the bottom brackets to the top of the door. These cables help to support the weight of the door and keep it balanced.
It is important to keep the cables on your garage door properly lubricated and in good condition to ensure smooth operation and prevent breakage. If the cables become damaged or break, it can cause the door to become unbalanced and potentially fall, which can cause damage or injury. If you notice any issues with your garage door cables, it is best to have a professional repair or replace them.
Can I still open a garage door if the cable is broken?
It is strongly recommended that you don’t try to use a garage door whose cable is broken or loose. Doing so puts a lot of pressure on the other cables, which could break and cause the door to fall on whatever or whoever is underneath it.
If your door is stuck open because of a broken cable, you should call emergency garage door repair technicians and wait there until they get there. If this isn’t possible and you can’t leave your home open, you’ll have to cut the remaining cable to close the door.
If you decide to do this, make sure there are at least three or four other adults there who can hold the door while you cut the cable and gently lower it to the ground.
Some common signs that garage door cables are broken or damaged are:
There are a few common signs that your garage door cables may be damaged or broken:
- The garage door is uneven or off-balance. If the cables are damaged or broken, the door may be uneven or off-balance, making it difficult to open or close.
- The cables are frayed or broken. If you can see that the cables are frayed or broken, it is a clear sign that they need to be repaired or replaced.
- The cables are coming off the drum. If the cables are coming off the drum, it is a serious issue that needs to be addressed immediately. This could cause the door to become unbalanced and potentially fall, which could be dangerous.
- The garage door is stuck. If the cables are damaged, it could cause the door to become stuck in the open or closed position.
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have the cables repaired or replaced as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the garage door and to ensure it is safe to use. If you are not comfortable working with cables, it is best to contact a professional for assistance.
Can I Fix My Garage Door Cable Myself?
A problem with your cable could be caused by a number of things, such as:
- If the cables wind around the drum wrong, the door could get stuck.
- The cables can come off the drum completely and need to be reconnected.
- When the pulleys wear out, the cable no longer moves smoothly.
Even though you might be able to fix a broken garage door cable on your own, you shouldn’t. We recommend calling a professional to make the repair because they can do it safely and won’t hurt the door or other parts that move.
Additionally to that, our garage door repair services consist of examining the door’s overall performance and identifying any other potential problems before they escalate.
If your garage door is stuck open, here’s what to do:
If your garage door is stuck open, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
- Check to see if the garage door opener is getting power. Make sure that the device is plugged in and that the outlet works.
- Check the circuit breaker or fuse for the garage door opener. If the circuit has tripped or the fuse has blown, reset it or replace it as needed.
- Check the safety sensors. These sensors are located on the bottom of the door frame and prevent the door from closing if there is an obstacle in the way. Make sure the sensors are aligned and free of debris.
- Check the tracks and rollers. Make sure the tracks are clean and free of debris, and that the rollers are in good condition.
- Check the springs. If the garage door is stuck open, it could be due to broken or loose springs. If you are not comfortable working with springs, it is best to contact a professional for assistance.
If you have tried these steps and the garage door remains open, it is best to contact a professional for further assistance. To secure your home and your family members you’ll have to cut the damaged cable in order to bring the door close. The repairs we offer for cable consist of the replacement of both cables in order to prevent damage therefore cutting the good cable won’t add to the repair price.
Note: If you decide to cut the cable by yourself, take extreme care and make sure you have additional people around to help to lower your door gradually and cautiously when the cable has been cut.
Contact an experienced Garage Door Company in Bryan TX
For more than a century, our team from Circle B Overhead Door has been the garage door company that is the preferred preference in garage door repair, garage door replacement, and garage maintenance in Bryan TX for doors.
We also provide garage door openers as well as Keypad programming. We’re Texas the number one resource for everything garage-related.